Saturday, September 15, 2007

Finished the Opera House

My last piece associated with the Sumptuous Surfaces course is complete.
I have struggled with this one - I think abstract designs are easier to do. I spent half the time stitching and unpicking and restitching. However I think I am happy with the finished piece.
I tried 2 new pulled thread stitches but otherwise anything new got removed. My fingers don't seem to do exactly what my brain tells them. Maybe I just need lots more practice.
I do like Pulled Thread work and intend to try out more of these stitches - maybe a set of samplers like the illustrated ones in Mary Thomas. My next project is to do some blackwork - I am fascinated in how it can be used to give incredible shading. Some of the work I have found in books is so beautiful.

Monday, September 10, 2007

The correct orientation!

Amazing what a good night's sleep can do for your brain!
I worked out how to get the image I wanted. Quite simple really!
This looks more like it should. I have not done any more to it since yesterday - I am making very slow progress with this piece.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

A fortnight's work!!!

There is not very much to show for nearly a fortnight's stitching. However there has been much more work done - I needed to do a certain amount of unpicking before I was satisfied.
I really enjoy doing pulled thread work . My black and white version of Mary Thomas's stitch dictionary has some beautiful sampler illustrations of pulled thread work. I wish I owned her embroidery book as well as her dictionary!
I am not sure where I go from here - some pulled satin at the bottom for a start. This piece is definitely changing as I go along.
I will have to try to get a scan that is not a mirror image also!